Historian GS-0170-11, full performance level GS-0170-12
Appointment Type: Permanent
Salary Range: $73,690 - $95,794 USD per year
This is a Public Advertisement for positions being filled under the Department of Defense (DoD) Direct Hire Authority (DHA) Recent Graduates, Sec 1106, PL 114-328, 12/23/2016. Selection is only made at the GS-11 level. Information on how to apply and be considered may be found below.
U.S. Citizenship is required.
Army University Press will fill vacancies in following location:
Fort Leavenworth, Kansas
Additional Information for DHA Positions:
The term "recent graduate" means a person who was awarded a degree by an institution of higher education not more than two years before the date of the appointment of such person, except that in the case of a person who has completed a period of obligated service in a uniform service of more than four years, such term means a person who was awarded a degree by an institution of higher education not more than six years before the date of the appointment of such person.
Basic Requirements for Qualification
A bachelor’s degree or higher in History or a related field that included at least 18 semester hours in History OR a combination of education and experience which includes courses equivalent to a major in History, or a major in a related field that included at least 18 semester hours in History, plus appropriate experience, or additional education.
In addition to meeting the basic requirements above, to qualify for this position you must also meet the qualifications requirements below:
GS-11: Three years of progressively higher-level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree or Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree in History or related field.
GS-12: One year of specialized experience equivalent to at least GS-11.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency in the following areas:
- Knowledge and Use of Military History and the Historiography of Military History.
- Creation and Conduct of Complex Research Plans.
- Writing Book-Length Historical Monographs.
- Presenting Historical Analyses in Professional Meetings.
Promotion to the target position is contingent upon satisfactory completion of training requirements and continuous satisfactory performance. Your pay will be set within the range specified in this vacancy announcement and will be based on such factors as your qualifications, education, experience, training, and availability of funds.
At the full performance level (GS-12), individuals typically will:
- Apply advanced knowledge of military history and the historiography of military history.
- Create and Conduct Complex Research Plans.
- Write documentary film scripts and storyboards.
- Write book-length studies as well as develop other historically oriented products.
- Present Historical Analyses at Professional Meetings.
Your application package must include, at a minimum, your resume and transcripts.
Complete application packages will be accepted at the email address below:
|Vacation and Sick Leave Program
|Health and Life Insurance
|Paid Federal Holildays
|Retirement Plan & 401K Equivalent
|Family Friendly Leave
|Flexible Spending & Health Savings Account
- All candidates MUST be citizens of the United States.
- All candidates must be able to attain and maintain a Secret clearance.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, are required to complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service registration prior to appointment. Failure to comply may be grounds for withdrawal of an offer of employment, or dismissal after appointment.
- Position may require up to 5% travel within the USA.
- You will be required to serve a year trial period.
- Travel and relocation expenses MAY be paid.
- Recruitment bonus MAY be offered.
The Federal Government is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Army will provide equal employment opportunity in all actions taken under this authority. All actions to evaluate, appoint, develop, and promote individuals under this authority will be based on merit and made without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, or other non-merit-based factor. Otherwise, qualified applicants with disabilities who need reasonable accommodation may notify the agency Point of Contact on this announcement of their need.