How to Search Military Review Articles
Military Review is stored in an old system and searching through the archives requires patience. Although we are working on updating the system to include a more comprehensive search, it is possible to do a keyword search on the entire file database to include the earliest documents. There are two approaches to searching Military Review collections.
The Ike Skelton Combined Arms Research Library at Fort Leavenworth houses the only complete searchable collection of Military Review publications from 1922 to present (with the exception of a few missing editions). Follow these steps to access the collection of Military Review publications, specifically those published in 2005 and prior:
- Visit the Military Review archives web page at https://www.armyupress.army.mil/Journals/Military-Review/English-Edition-Archives/.
- Click the link button titled “2005 and Prior.”
- Find “Search by Edition.” The menu will allow you to search one (or all) of the language editions.
- Enter a keyword or phrase in the text box next to the “Search by Edition” drop-down menu. Then select the "Search" button. The search will produce a list of Military Review issues in which the keyword or phrase appears. (Advisory: Due to the poor condition of some of the earlier copies of Military Review, the scanning process may not have been able to capture the metadata with complete fidelity, which hampers word search in as much as the search engine may not be able to identify all the references to the keyword)
- Select a document that meets your criteria.
- Click the link to download the document on the new page that appears.
- Name the document then Save it to your computer or open the PDF into your internet browser.
Keyword search PDF document in Adobe Acrobat. To find where the keyword or phrase is used within the downloaded document, follow these steps:
- Open the PDF document in Adobe Acrobat.
- Press the "Ctrl + F" buttons on your keyboard and a search block titled “Find” will appear in the top right corner.
- Enter the keyword or phrase into the text box and click Enter on your keyboard. This will take you to the first use of the keyword or phrase and highlight each subsequent use in the document.
Keyword search PDF in internet browser. To find where the keyword or phrase is used within the document on an internet browser, follow these steps:
- Open the PDF document in an internet browser.
- Type “Ctrl+F” and a Find dialog box will appear (this may be at the top right or bottom left depending on what browser is used).
- Type keyword or phrase into the Find dialog box provided and click enter. The arrow or previous/next buttons will find and highlight each previous or subsequent use of the keyword or phrase.
Second Approach (2006 to Present)
Military Review maintains an independent searchable collection of publications online from the July-August 2006 edition to the present. Follow these steps to search any edition of Military Review from July-August 2006 to present:
- Visit the Military Review main web page at https://www.armyupress.army.mil/Military-Review/.
- Type a keyword or phrase into the Find dialog box at the top, right side of the home page.
- The search will produce a list of Army University Press publications in which the keyword or phrase appears. The keywords/phrase will display in BOLD print. The search may include results from Military Review, Military Review online exclusive program, book reviews, Military Review’s war poetry collection, The NCO Journal, the Future Warfare Writing Program, etc.
- Select an article of interest from the list of documents featuring the keyword or phrase.
- Click “Ctrl+F” and insert the keyword or phrase into the Find dialog box and press Enter.
- The places where the keyword or word phrase appears will be highlighted throughout the document.
Back to Top